Student Veterans-Wyoming

SB 61 provides any veteran who is honorably discharged and enrolled in at Univeristy of Wyoming or in Wyoming Community College within one year of their separation date shall be considered an in-state resident for tuition purposes. Veteran must take steps to establish state residency to keep their in-state student status.

University of Wyoming
Changes to University of Wyoming regulations recently approved by UW’s Board of Trustees have expanded the ranks of those who qualify for the university’s offer of in-state tuition to military veterans. Starting in the 2015 summer school session, dependents of qualifying veterans are eligible for in-state tuition, and veterans have up to three years from their time of discharge to enroll at the university.

Under the new regulations, a qualifying veteran is defined as:

  • A veteran using VA Education Benefits under the Chapter 33 or Chapter 30 programs.
  • A veteran who lives in the state of Wyoming and intends to live in Wyoming during the period of enrollment.
  • A veteran who enrolls at UW within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

A qualifying dependent is defined as:

  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in Wyoming and enrolls at UW within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Or a spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sgt. John David Fry Scholarship who lives in Wyoming and enrolls at UW within three years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

A qualifying veteran and/or dependent must provide the following documentation to UW:

  • A copy of separation document (example, DD214).
  • A Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs confirming eligibility for VA Education Benefits in Chapter 33 or Chapter 30 programs.
  • Evidence that he or she has taken steps to establish Wyoming residency, which includes one of the following: a Wyoming voter registration card; a current Wyoming driver’s license or identification card; current Wyoming vehicle registration; evidence of employment in the state; a current property lease or purchase agreement showing the veteran as lessee or purchaser of an in-state residence; a utility bill showing a current account for a state residence in the veteran’s name; or other evidence that can be reviewed by UW officials.

Wyoming National Guard Education 100% State Educational Assistance Plan:
The 100% State Educational Assistance Plan is for Wyoming National Guard members that want to pursue higher education. The plan pays 100% of the tuition and mandatory fees at Wyoming Junior colleges and at the University of Wyoming. The plan pays a determined amount each year for those private schools in Wyoming that are VA approved. Guard members can use the state educational assistance to complete one degree or certificate program. This includes: Certificates, Associate, Bachelors, Masters, or PhD program. The combination of Certificate, Associate to Bachelor counts as one degree. Members can use the Montgomery GI Bill and kicker, if qualified, with the 100% State Educational Assistance Plan.
Eligibility: Members must have served or are serving on a six-year contract with the Wyoming National Guard. Must have completed basic training or officer training; meet participation standards; and be in good standing with the Guard. Members must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA in school and agree to serve two years with the Wyoming Guard after completion of school. Members have ten years to complete their degree or educational objective. The ten years start the first time members enroll in the plan. Failure to maintain satisfactory participation in the educational program or failure to complete the initial six-year commitment, or the two-year additional service, obligates a member to repay all educational assistance received. An application packet must be completed for each term enrolled. Members can pick up application packets at their units, college financial aid offices, and state education office and on the web site:

5500 Bishop Boulevard
Cheyenne, WY 82009-3320
Phone: 307-772-5053
Fax: 307-772-5202

Sources: Student Veterans of America, American Legion